Should you’re hoping to improve the RAM in your Lenovo Yoga 6 later down the road, you might be out of luck. Nevertheless, you may substitute the SSD.
For 2023, Lenovo launched a refreshed mannequin of the Yoga 6, which is without doubt one of the greatest convertible laptops in the marketplace, particularly for extra budget-conscious customers. This 12 months’s replace would not actually change a lot when it comes to design and solely introduces new AMD Ryzen processors. Like final 12 months, it solely comes with as much as 16GB of RAM out of the field, together with a 1TB SSD for storage. So what occurs if you wish to improve RAM and storage down the one?
Effectively, the excellent news is you may technically improve the storage for the reason that Lenovo Yoga 6 comes with an M.2 2242 SSD. These smaller SSDs aren’t fairly as widespread as the standard 2280 fashions, however you may substitute it when you discover a substitute.
The dangerous information is that the RAM is soldered onto the motherboard, so that you’re caught with no matter you select at checkout. Your solely choices are 8GB or 16GB, and you must guarantee that what you select is sufficient to hold your laptop performing for so long as you propose to make use of it. The bottom 8GB RAM possibility remains to be effective for day-to-day use these days, however if you wish to do something extra demanding, like photograph modifying or heavy multitasking, it would battle. For these use instances, 16GB is unquestionably the best way to go.
The best way to improve the storage on the Lenovo Yoga 6 (2023)
As we have talked about, the storage on the Lenovo Yoga 6 is technically upgradeable afterward, however discovering a correct substitute may be difficult. First, doing work on a laptop computer your self may void your guarantee. Additionally, most respected manufacturers do not promote SSDs within the M.2 2242 kind issue for customers. These are normally bought to PC producers to make use of in laptops the place bigger SSDs could not be capable to match. Your best choice is to have a look at Lenovo’s half finder web site to purchase a substitute SSD. You may additionally want to purchase a brand new SSD bracket. This may increasingly truly price you extra in the long term, however if you wish to purchase a less expensive configuration now and improve later, it is an possibility.
Earlier than changing an SSD, keep in mind that you will not have any information within the new one (until you put together it beforehand). You may have to backup your previous information and create a bootable USB drive to put in Home windows 11 on the brand new SSD. Try find out how to set up Home windows 11 for extra info on that.
For this information, you may additionally want a Philips head screwdriver and a non-conductive prying instrument, which can turn out to be useful that will help you open the laptop computer. It is also beneficial to put on an anti-static wrist strap everytime you work inside a laptop computer. This may stop electrostatic discharges that might injury the elements. After you have all the things, you may comply with these steps.
- Flip off the laptop computer and unplug it from the AC adapter.
- Lay the laptop computer the wrong way up and take away the six screws holding down the bottom cowl.
- Take away the base cowl (the prying instrument could assist separate it from the remainder of the chassis).
- Disconnect the battery from the motherboard. The battery connector is correct in the course of the laptop computer, simply above the battery itself.
- The M.2 2242 SSD is connected to a bracket. Take away the screw holding the bracket in place, then take away the bracket with the SSD from the slot.
- Flip the bracket over and take away the screw attaching the SSD to the bracket.
- Connect the brand new SSD to the bracket with the one screw.
- Insert the SSD with the bracket into the SSD slot, guaranteeing it is in the identical place as earlier than. The notch within the contacts ought to information you.
- Do not forget that the screw attaching the SSD to the bracket must be going through down when the SSD is inserted.
- Safe the bracket on the motherboard with the screw you eliminated beforehand. Watch out to keep away from overtightening.
- Reconnect the battery cable to the motherboard and put the bottom cowl again on, securing it with the six screws you eliminated initially.
You must now be capable to plug within the laptop computer and switch it on together with your new SSD put in. You may want to put in Home windows once more and restore your information, until you propose to begin contemporary.
That is all there may be to it. The true problem is discovering an M.2 2242 SSD at an affordable value, however the course of is pretty easy in any other case. Regardless that it is doable, we might suggest most customers select the best SSD configuration when shopping for the laptop computer until you actually need to avoid wasting that extra cash.
You’ll be able to’t purchase the brand new Lenovo Yoga 6 simply but, because it’s deliberate to be obtainable in April 2023. If you cannot afford to attend, you might need to take a look at the most effective Lenovo laptops. Or when you’re wanting one thing inexpensive, we’ve an inventory of the most effective low-cost laptops you should purchase, too.